A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Tuesday 16 November 2010

CHIP CHIPPEDY

MOST of my last week[end] was spent eating, sleeping, snacking and napping [I've probably been spending too much time around cats], swaying in a non musical related sense, and feeling particularly faint.
Whilst the Medieval scholars will put this down to the fact that I am a woman and am therefore more susceptical to an imbalance of emotion, I can assure you, it was jut a virus.  An incredibly annoying, ever persistent virus which rendered me almost useless for an entire week.

I think this is what my virus looked like.  Green and mean, but pretty bloody useless without hands.

As a result, the things I learnt were not parictularly useful, but knowledge is knowledge nonetheless and here are my top three nuggets of new information:

ONE] The guitarist who plays for Yann Tiersen must have been stolen, blindfolded, gagged, pumped with Red Bull
         and finally released on stage.  That or he really doesn't look around when he's playing.  Either way, this
         does not excuse the fact that he thought [wholeheartedly] that he was in Metallica or even, dare I say it,
         Slip Knot.  He wasn't wearing a hollwe'en themed mask, but i'm pretty sure that if he shook his head
         up and down one more time he would have spontaneously combusted.  That having been said, the gig itself
         was worthy of the near-to-passing-out moments I experienced, with new synth-pop twists on the old
         Tiersen classics such as 'La Valise d'Amelie' and incredible violin solos by Yann himself.  On the other
         hand, it did seem as though they'd just been thrown into a six storey music shop with an unlimited budget,
         bought every synth they found and hadn't had a chance to play with them 'til the set itself.  However fun to
         play, synth solos comprising of turning a dial round and round in [un]predictable outbursts does not =
         interesting five minute solo.  Regardless, Yann Tiersen's new album Dust Lane is definitely worth a
         listen, with particular favourites of mine being the almost Arcade Fire-meets-Explosions In The Sky anthem
         'Til The End' and the surprising [massive lie] crowd-pleaser 'Fuck Me'.


Yann Tiersen.  He does not like to pose much. At all even.

TWO] I can't say no to Potato. [Wow. A rhyming 'thing I have learnt'  This is now obviously worth two things.] I
         already knew this, but Saturday saw me devour an ungodly amount of chips after I had eaten and was
         already belly-bustingly full.  If there's potato in front of me I literally can't say 'no'.  So there you have it, my
         weakness.  Please don't exploit this, but I'm just saying...if there's anything you need to know, stick a bag
         of chips in front of me and I'll tell you EVERYTHING. [shh]

Squidgy chips in hearts shapes?! Just. Woah.

THREE] People actually liked the first real song of our band H E A R T S.  Thanks to everyone who's had a listen/
            sent me a message/joined the group.  More to come SOON.
            www.myspace.com/hearthesehearts

Also next weekend I have to go to a friend's 21st in fancy dress.
Outfit ideas will be very welcome.  And no I am not going as a chip.  Thanks.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment