A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 14 February 2013

ONE MILLION LOVELY LETTERS AND AN INFLATABLE

I can't quite believe it is Thursday again, but that's probably something to do with the fact I spent yesterday wrapped up in a duvet trying not to move. On a happier note, today is the day of love, originally the day birdies found their partners [I actually studied the text at Uni but can't quite remember what it was called]. Lets get right to it then!

ONE] Letters are lovely: I know this because a] I love receiving them and, 
                                                                 b] so does pretty much everyone else, unless it is a bill. Then not
                                                                     so much.

         Someone who understands this very well is my friend Jodi Ann Bickley who has taken it upon herself to
         write 'one million lovely letters' to people around the world who need a little bit of cheering up. A wonderfully

         selfless and humbling act considering Jodi has recently been learning how to deal with a life-changing
         medical condition. The process is simple: if you're feeling a bit down, under the weather, or perhaps a bit
         
lonely, send an email to onemillionlovelyletters@gmail.com stating your address and the reason why you
         are writing to Jodi and you will receive a lovely response in the form of a beautifully decorated, personalised
         letter. For today's mail alone she had post ready to send to Namibia, TX, Peru, Hong Kong, Selly Park,
         Surrey, New Zealand, London, Smethwick, New Orleans, Belgium and Qatar. I think this is one of the
         best new projects I have ever heard of, bringing a whole new meaning to the term 'social media' whilst
         simultaneously doing something heart-warming for a stranger who just needs a bit of something lovely.

         Want to get involved? Spread the one million lovely letters word and watch the letters multiply!
The beautiful and talented Jodi who I have had the
pleasure of playing a gig with. She writes the
best poems.

TWO] Valentines Day is great: I know I'm offending rather a lot of people by saying this, whilst simultaneously
          aiding the 'pocket-filling' for the likes of Clintons Cards, but it is. This isn't just because I am in a
          wonderful relationship; I liked this day when I was single too [which was for about 22 years of my life. My

          highlight was the googly-eyed gorilla card that I used to get yearly from my dad, signed by other people
          obviously]. My question is why take offence to a day that advocates love and friendly gestures? This might
          be a contradiction in terms since I believe that every day should be its own little
          Valentines day [sop bucket], but it happens regardless of what I think, so I might aswell embrace it! In
          light of this here are some V-day facts and traditions to help your afternoon along: 

                    a] The first man an unmarried woman saw on 14th February would be her husband. [unlucky
                        if this is your dad?]

                    b] In Wales wooden love spoons were carved and given as gifts [bargain!] on February 14th.
                    c] In the Middle Ages young women picked names from a bowl to see who their valentines would
                        be. They would proceed to wear these names on their sleeves for an entire week. Slightly
                        awkward if you were to bump into this person on your way to milking the cows i'd imagine.

Here's a picture I took in Paris a few years ago.
The city of love, and tree scratches.


THREE] There is a young man in America [obviously] who loves his inflatables, and by inflatables I do not mean
             inflatable women. By inflatables I mean swimming pool inflatables. The kind you used when you couldn't
             swim. The kind that resemble whales, sharks and undecipherable animals. Obviously I found this story
             on my favourite entertaining website the Daily Mail , but still, I saw video evidence! As far I can tell he
             does not have a sexual relationship with the plastic, air-filled objects, but he does kiss them. I don't
             know. If I was not shown a lot of love as a child I'd probably be trying to hug strangers or adding to a
             vast collection of talking dolls, or something of the sort. Thankfully I was hugged on average 12324235
             times a day and you don't have to witness any of these scenarios. But you have to feel sorry for the poor
             boy! Until you seem him set food out for them at the dinner table. That's just a waste.

This is the only photo of something that looks remotely 
'inflated'.

On Saturday I will be going out to dinner with my wonderful boyfriend and celebrating with a delicious meal paid for by my beautiful sister. I'm jealous of mySELF.

Lots of Love, 
STANLEY

p.s I'm going to stop using pictures from the Internet and just use ones I have taken so I don't get hit with a law suit. You have a whole year of random pictures to look forward too. Lucky you!

              

No comments:

Post a Comment