A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 4 April 2013

GREAT GORGING

AFTER what seems like a hiatus I have finally learnt a few things worth noting:

ONE] The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann film looks incredible: Whilst Bazza is already one of my favourite
          directors purely on account of his take on Romeo + Juliet in 1996 [yes, we are THAT old and no, I
          haven't actually seen any of his other films all the way through] I must say that I was still equally
          surprised and excited when I saw the latest trailer, teasing us with all things art deco-DiCaprio.
          I read the book many years ago at school, and though I can't actually remember the plot, I do remember

          that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Naturally, a good book + Leo + bold colours + a Tarantino-esque soundtrack
          is a concoction i'd like to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Did I mention it is released the day before
          my birthday? If that's not a sign I'm not sure what is.

This little still alone is practically making me drool.

           I'll probably set myself the challenge of re-reading the book before it is released, realise I don't have that
           much time/that its my birthday and sit back at the cinema with a bag full of sugary strawberry laces
           and a big blank mind. If you like films, you'll love this.


TWO] We love takeaways: According to the most reliable Mail Online, we are each spending around £1,320 a
          year on takeaways. This seems like quite a sweeping generalisation, but apparently sushi also comes
          under the takeaway umbrella; now this figure seems more believable. I see people queue round the block
          for sushi every single day, so lets say they spend money on that either for lunch or dinner 3 times a week,
          added to the amount of REAL takeaways, which for a lot of people is at least once a week, taking us up to
          takeaway four times a week. Lets then say three of those four times comes to about £6 a pop, with the
          fourth coming to £20. That equals a gargantuan £2,052 a year. Now, I am obviously exaggerating, but not
          really by very much at all. I must say that I am a sucker for a takeaway, mainly because the idea of one
          makes me happy and excited [don't judge], emotions obviously rooting from younger days, but also
          because:
                          a] lets face it, they taste pretty amazing,
                          b] I see them as a treat, and treating = seretonin, and
                          c] as much as I love cooking and creating things out of whatever we have in the cupboards, 
                              you have more time to relax and do important things, like refresh Twitter.
A place where 'every day is takeaway day' is America.
This is a photo I took of the view from the Empire State Building, 
which is in New York, which is in America.

          What I have learnt from this is is that yes, we all probably spend too much on 'takeaways', but it is all
          about moderation. If you can afford to, you exercise and you're afraid of horse meat, I don't see a problem
          in having one a week. If on the other hand you can't afford to [though buying fresh produce is slowly
          becoming the more expensive option] and you don't exercise, I would advise you to seriously reconsider
          everything, including that pink onesie you love [Joey Essex is not an inspirational fashionista].


THREE] Degus love the camera: Here's a quick degu update in the form of a rather telling video. This is Chili, the
            [surely soon to be famous] camera hogger:

That cereal box has had waaay too many smarties.

FOUR] I have a new addiction: I have finally kicked my bread addiction [YESSSS]. Now I have a new
           addiction [OH]. Whilst once-upon-a time I couldn't go into Sainsbury's without leaving with a bread roll
           or entire loaf, I find myself bypassing the bakery aisle for the 'ethnic' isle. Right next to the packets of
           Indian spices are 85p packets of lemon and corriander crisps [also comes in jalapeno flavour]. I can not
           for the life of me remember what they are called, nor can I find them on the internet. I assure you, these
           crisps are very real and very addictive. The next time I buy a packet i'll post a photo. Until then I can only
           regale you with tales of 20 minute runs to Sainsbury's followed by slow, crisp-filled walks back home.
           W A R N I N G: Only purchase if in possession of will power of steel.

THIS weekend sees us cooking for family.
If you have any unusal [but edible] recipes for a dinner, please send to whatstanleysays@gmail.com along with your VIDEO CLIPS of what you have learnt during the week.
Danke.

STANLEY



No comments:

Post a Comment