A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Wednesday 31 July 2013

BOOKS ETC

THERE hasn't entirely been much to learn since the last time, but what I can say is that:

ONE] I forget I like to read: Which sounds a bit silly really. I think I go through stages where I get so involved in
         a brilliant book that when I'm done I need some air/a social life and banish the 'b' word completely. What

         happens is I tend to leave them so long that my grammar becomes almost non-existant and my
         vocabulary bank shrinks to the size of Dita Von Teese's waist. 

         By this point someone mentions the word 'book' and I remember that [actually] I'd quite like to read
         and scour the one shelf of 'library' in our flat for something I've never noticed.The last book I read was this:
Please don't worry. It's a book about Punk.
I am not contemplating anything
untoward.
          This was a gift from my boyfriend who knew that I had a [passing] interest in this era, some of the bands
          and their leather jackets [of which I have one which dwarfs me], but also knew that at the same time I
          knew hardly anything about. The genius thing about this book is that it is entirely formed of quotes from
          the bands in question. Ever wondered just how many random, unrelated words Patti Smith can get into
          a sentence? Or guessed at just how injured Iggy Pop was on that night? Then this is the book for you.
          It comes highly recommended by the two whole people in our household.
          
          After one of those really long breaks, I have found myself reading something on the opposite end of the
          literary spectrum - a story about the elderly and their antics:
Or rather a one hundred year old man and
his antics

           This book written by the Swedish genius that is Jonas Jonasson [i'd never heard of him before] is so
           laid back it's practically..laid back. The style in which it is written allows for a ridiculously easy read
           and although i'm only just under half the way through, i'm already finding it difficult to put down [i've
           become a lunchtime-reader]. Don't be fooled by the subject matter either. Remember, how much would
           you care about rules and authority if you were a hundred years old?

whatstanleysays@gmail.com



         

No comments:

Post a Comment