A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 26 July 2012

RELAY RELATIONSHIPS

It's the last day of the beautiful weather and I write to you having learnt two things since Tuesday [not bad, not great]:
ONE] The Olympics aren't so bad: This morning saw me toddling off down the road from work past Barbican
         station to a road crammed full of people eager to catch a glimpse of the famous Olympic Torch and its
         bearer. The celebrations began with a wave-shaped Coca-Cola bus adorned with hyper red-clothed people
         slowly making its way round the road closely followed by the other 'official sponsors' of the games trying to
         hype up a crowd mostly filled with suit-clad people and the occasional wildly excited child. What followed

         next [quite bizarrely] were what I supposed were athletes wearing red wigs, riding tiny weeny bikes and
         waving streamers. It was a bit like a Disney parade but without all the Disney, and whilst it sounds a bit
         underwhelming, I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt suitably hyped-up for the appearance of the famed flame.

         After this, several stray cyclists who had somehow managed to get into the path of the torch were cheered
         on by the entire crowd, one even waving like the queen, soaking in the love on his way to work.
         Now having made sure I watched that Billy Mitchell episode of Eastenders as prep, I was less than happy
         to find that the torch bearer was:

              a] not David Walliams, and
              b] speeding past us faster than Usain Bolt with really cool rocket-powered trainers.
        It was one of those 'what torch?' moments, phones clicking left right and centre with heads turning like
        those of the spectators at Wimbledon [insert comical cartoon noise here]. But whilst this was a bit of a let

        down, all in all I can safely say that I am glad I went and experienced a bit of this relay, if only to start my
        day off outside, sunshine blaring, surrounded by a sort of buzz, the 'Olympic Buzz', because frankly, this is
        the closest I am going to get.
This is the company that decided to get a roof terrace so they can have the best seats for things like the Olympic Torch Relay and...other things.

Here are the funny little bikes and their funny little riders.

And here's the money shot. I'm surprised my phone was able to respond that quickly to be honest.
Lovely smile.



TWO] Kristen Stewart has cheated on Robert Pattison with Liberty Ross' husband who is nearly fifty.
          I can't say that I am particularly moved by this story, but I can see three things wrong with it:

               a] 'Kirsten Stewart has cheated on Robert Pattison': She did that to him? [she was already punching
                   higher than Snow White's dwarfs trying to catch kites in the sky]
               b] 'with Liberty Ross' husband': Liberty Ross is the victim. Oh dear, this woman is beautiful, feisty and
                   pretty damn cool [thanks vogue.co.uk].
               c] 'who is nearly fifty': That's like me dating someone the same age as my dad.
          I'm obviously scraping the barrel here with this last thing i've learnt [i didn't really learn too much in two
          days - clearly], but i like stories like this so I can see reactions like THIS .
She's going to have to be watching her back like that a LOT now according to 'Nutty Madam' [her words, not mine] Emma Clark






Tomorrow is the beginning of the weekend [I can't bare the thought of no rain] and OH YES the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Be sure to watch in [probably on BBC one around 7pm], if only to see why they've
turned the stadium into a field.


STANLEY

No comments:

Post a Comment