A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 2 August 2012

FIFTY SHADES OF CHILL-AY

It's Thursday again and i'm welcoming in the weekend with a few [pretty standard] things i've learnt this week in preparation for another few days with an abundance of knowledge [food/sleep].

ONE] Fifty Shades of Grey outsells Harry Potter: As one of the [ridiculously few] people who haven't read these
         books, you could say that I am in no position [no pun intended] to be shocked by this. Wrong! I was
         forced to read two pages from the first of this trilogy. I can't say I have read a book aimed at adults that
         has been written in a more cringeworthy, basic way, but this is in no way a dig at the author. I think what
         she has achieved is beyond clever - she's created a book that has the same effect as a soap opera,
         requires about the same amount of concentration and is available whenever the reader is free. This was
         obviously a ka-CHIIING idea and E.L James 
obviously wasted no time in realising that she could easily
         repeat this formula a further two times. As if the engulfment of the entire country wasn't enough, there are
         talks of a film being made: well they'd be fools not too! There's a guaranteed four million people who would
         risk life and limb to see the film, plus the other billion people who secretly wanted to know what happened
         but are too ashamed to buy the books [i may or may not be included in this category]. If on the other hand
         you have no idea what I am talking about, I have deduced two things about you:
               a] You live in a cave in New Zealand.
               b] You've been walking around the streets, sitting on the tubes and walking up and down trains with
                   your eyes taped shut.
Channel 4's documentary/excuse to talk about bondage can be found HERE 
Just remember. The Australian women's swimming team relax by reading these books. They won gold medals.


TWO] Sa Jae-Hyouk is the name of a South Korean weightlifter: Have I been using Wikipedia to the extreme?
          No. No I haven't. I know this because he nearly made me throw up over my computer in front of the whole
          office. Whilst he didn't come to Old Street and say something like "Dappy is my style icon", he did [rather
          selfishly] dislocate his elbow during his event. Why did he have to do this? Why do I keep watching THIS
          little video over and over and over? Who knows? But really, you've got to feel for him. It looks
          horrendously painful and all he let out was one tiny shriek! Plus he had to deal with a flurry of camera
          clicks, forever documenting this awful episode at the London 2012 Olympics. I really hope he heals
          quickly and stays away from the newspapers for at least....ooh..a year?
There are so many angles of the same moment it took me fifteen minutes to pick the most dramatic.
You could also look at this picture whilst listening a song like 'Sing' [blur], if you're a bit bored.

THREE] Chilis like to be re-potted: An obvious statement? Probably - but these chilis were really starting to
             show their age before I put them all in bigger pots with more compost. Here are the results:
Here are the American Chilis and the Unnamed Chilis. I put the lavender there for encouragement.
Probably [definitely] should have put it on the next window ledge ->
The Jalapenos and Scotch Bonnetts. All 'fancy name' and no gut. You can't even see the one on the right.
That's as sad as when the beast gets ganged up on in Beauty and the Beast.

I'm getting a free arm and hand massage courtesy of Jo Malone on Saturday.
They have an illustrator there too apparently.
I'll probably learn a LOT.

SK

No comments:

Post a Comment