A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Tuesday 7 August 2012

BRAVEHEARTATHLON

After a weekend of batman, free arm massages at Jo Malone and a six mile run on a Sunday [I didn't go willingly. I'm clearly not a 'Sunday Person'], I should probably have learnt a whole lot about a whole lot.
That didn't happen, but this did:

ONE] Braveheart sneaked into my top ten films: I can't say what other films are in this list, but Braveheart is
         certainly one of them. Yes, it may have veered as much off course from actual events as Lindsay Lohan
         in a car after a two-day bender, but it is wonderful for three reasons:
             a] The cinematography makes you want to jump on a steam-train direct to the Highlands. 
             b] There's an easy mix of gore, love, history and overgrown body hair to suit almost everyone and, 
             c] it's pretty fun to try and catch Mel Gibson out with his Scottish accent which is [surprisingly] mainly
                 spot on.
You see this face a LOT. From every available angle.
         I'm not sure how many people i've convinced [you've probably all seen it anyway. Being three years old
         doesn't count though], but it has made me want to part with actual money I could spend on food and buy it
         dvd style.

TWO] London has turned into a ghost town since the beginning of the Olympics: I can't say that I've measured
          this on every street on every day, but I can say that each time I have done a [really ridiculously] long run
          around the city, I have probably seen four and a half people [babies don't really count as full, atmosphere-
          providing statistics]. I've seen more people stand around staring at a duck crossing a pavement. What is 
          going on?! I didn't manage to get any Olympic tickets and have managed to miss each road race and
          marathon, but I thought I'd at least get a hint of the festival-like atmosphere here and there. The only
          Olympic-related crowd i've seen is the two people taking pictures of the press-up-ing red bus opposite
          pizza express in Angel:
It does move and there is some music.
The games end this weekend apparently which can only mean one thing. I will be submerging myself into anything Olympic-related from now until Sunday. I will get me some atmosphere. Actually they probably sell it in those newly decorated souvenir shops.

STANLEY

No comments:

Post a Comment