A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Wednesday 27 February 2013

BREAKING BRUIZE SHIP

IT is not Thursday. I have not invented time travel and ridden forward in time in a car with my dog. I'm just writing this a day early because I have to, but lets embrace the wonder that is a Wednesday and all its mid-week mood-lifting qualities with a list of things I have learnt in [just under] a week:

ONE] Breaking Bad is addictive: My God is it. I have to admit that the first two episodes didn't really show much
         promise to me. It seemed as though the plot was going to unwind as slowly as a one-legged tortoise but
         goodness was I wrong. Our evenings for the last week and a bit have been punctuated by 'Breaking Bad'

         time, with everything else working around that. Its like the OC all over again just with more
         meth-heads and less champagne. If this hasn't drawn you in enough, the cast features the dad from
         Malcolm in the Middle [a selling point according to my boyfriend] and a guy whose character's name is
         'Hank'. What more could you literally want? The series is a twisty tale of the life of a chemistry teacher

         turned-meth-cook and the sticky situations in which he finds himself. I definitely haven't done the thing
         justice, but I strongly urge you to start watching this if you haven't already [although most of you probably

         have] unless you:
            a] like to make plans during your evenings. Forget about those - they will go down the proverbial drain,
            b] suffer from acute pins-and-needle-itis. You won't move for at least three hours, or
            c] take on the speaking patterns of other people quickly, unless you want to keep calling your boss, 
                'bitch' or answer the phones with 'Yo!'
       Intrigued? 
Breaking Bad is set in America.
Here's a picture I took of a stall in America.


TWO] The Titanic is re-appearing, and you could sail with it!: I'm not suggesting that we all don scuba outfits,
          pile on the weights and sip fake tea from broken china miles under the Atlantic. An Australian tycoon is
          going to build a ship as close in detail to the original Titanic as possible. Now there's not really much
          wrong with this idea except for, oh I don't know, the Titanic SANK. Clearly, it is not the best ship to
          base another one on. I for one am hoping it is just the decor that will be copied. For example there needs
          to be many more lifeboats and, after the recent Carnival cruise-ship poo-gate, an emergency plumbing
          system.

          I am of the view that it will have a tough act to follow since pretty much the whole world has seen
          James Camron's Titanic [released in 1997, that's how old we are] and will be expecting Leonardo DiCapro
          to be jumping out from corners, making the experience an entirely better one. Saying that, the RMS
          Titanic was the most luxurious cruise liner of its time, putting many of ours to shame, and I am
          wholeheartedly excited for the hype and enthusiasm to die down so I can go and have a little look around
          [assuming it survives the maiden voyage]. Oh gosh imagine if the crew played a really horrible joke on
          the lucky first voyagers. Good job I am not on the committee.
Here is a picture of me [left] and
my sister [right] during a cruise
many years ago.

THREE] Degu Update: Yes, this week I have learnt that degus like to squish together not just in twos but in
             fives. Pretty cosy work there. All are doing fine and are as mischievous as ever and clearly going for
             some kind of Guinness World Record.
I do believe that four of these little degus need new homes.
If interested apply within!

This Sunday sees me moving house [Flat. We can't afford a house obviously]. I'll probably be a big stress-head
on Saturday, as cool as a frozen cucumber on Sunday and as lifeless as a zombie on Monday. But at least by Thursday I would have learnt the answers to some pretty important questions, like 'just where is the electricity meter?' and 'Is it acceptable to just buy plastic plates when people come over?'.
Enjoy the sun.

STANLEY
x


No comments:

Post a Comment