A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Tuesday 20 August 2013

BAND PROFILE: NATIVE PEOPLE





A few weeks ago I happened to walk into House of Wolf on Upper Street where there happened to be some bands getting ready for soundcheck. I decided to stay and found myself rather liking the first band on -  the soon-to-be-known Native People. Here's what Reuben the singer had to say:

Where are you natives of and how did you come about that name?
We are from Folkstone in the far corner of South East Kent by the sea and the sun (sometimes). The name: I was reading Anthony Kiedis' book Scar Tissue. There was a part where he mentioned 'Natives' so I took it on board for the band name and the rest of the guys liked it. Later we found out it was already being used so we decided to add the fact that we are people, and there we have that.

What are the three best things about your hometown?
The Leas Cliff Hall which is our main music venue, the beach and my living room where we rehearse.

I would describe your sound as a mish-mash of dancy rhythm bass and hazy synth, like summer haze...but without the rain. Plus you re-create dub-step drumming with real-life physical drumming, which takes some serious precision. How would you describe your music?
I think that's fair enough enough description, but i'll add that we wanted to create dance music that you could be lost in, played by a band instead of djs.

What have been your favourite Native People gigs?
So far it has been at a private party close to Ashford. There was an incredible crowd and we played last so everyone was really ready to dance! Another great gig was supporting The Pigeon Detectives at The Quarterhouse in Folkstone. It was a 450 ticketed venue but an extra 60 people got in so it was jammed. Both of these gigs were before Luke and Hudd joined the band though so we hope to have more favourite gigs soon.

What's your 'big band goal'?
Playing at Glastonbury (of course), playing with a huge samba band would be fantastic and a personal one for myself would be to play with Friendly Fires. That band have incredibly influenced myself and the direction of the band.

One gig you'd seriously advise everyone to go to this year?
Bonobo at the O2 Academy Brixton on 23rd November.

What's your favourite pizza?
This isn't an easy question for me to answer as i'm a veggie [so was I for two years!] so something with lots of salad on top, but for the rest of them, well I guess meat. 
Interesting. Most meat-eaters agree when I say that a hot vegetarian is absolutely, undeniably the best. We will review this decision in a few weeks.

The band will be recording later this year but you can catch them this Thursday 22nd August at House of Wolf, Upper Street.

https://www.facebook.com/NativePeople

No comments:

Post a Comment