A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 10 October 2013

CHARLES BRADLEY - KOKO, LONDON 2013

THE Last few days have taught me several things, some of importance, many not. Regardless, here's the best thing I learnt:

ONE] Charles Bradley is 65 years old [if I can count properly]: Surprised? Even know who i'm talking about?
         You will [to both things]. This gentleman is one of the best singers I have heard live in a very long time. 
         At this stage of life, most people look forward to resting, seeing family, eating cakes and not giving a shit,
         and the list continues in that manner. Not Mr Bradley, he prefers to embark on WORLD TOURS. For
         example, last night he played at KOKO in London, tomorrow he's playing the Hare & Hounds, Birmingham
         [this is a brilliant venue - you should definitely get tickets] and on Monday he's in Norway. To give you
         some context, Charles Bradley began performing as a James Brown impersonator at the age of 14 and
         never made enough money to support himself. Now he's selling out venues all over the world, and that my
         friends is because he is one talented, determined man.
Here's the trailer for a documentary about him that
I had no idea existed until about two minutes ago.
       Another talent this great man has is the ability to look like he is crying quite severely both when singing
      and, apparently, when not:
Photo courtesy of THE VINYL FACTORY
      His pitch-perfect voice was matched by the power with which it is projected, and makes for a brilliantly
      relaxed set, complete with trumpets and what sounded like the world's best backing singers. My favourite of
      his songs still has to be the contagious Strictly Reserved For You, nearly four minutes of effortless cool.

This is the first track on the album. Enough said.
    Just to give you an idea of how packed-out the gig was, here are some photos that I had to get my 6ft 3"
    boyfriend to take:
I particularly like this zoom effect.

    To those going to Concorde 2, Brighton tonight, enjoy and get there early if you want to get
    anywhere near the Bradderz. To those of you in Birmingham doing nothing tomorrow night, BUY TICKETS.

love
whatstanleysays@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment